89th post - Ideas for Bases!
This week I've been trying some things with bases, since I bought a few new materials and really wanted to try them out.
Nothing new about the texture of the bases. I've used the same materials that I always do: fine sand, medium grit, cork and decorative stones.
Now, after painting the bases, I have used multiple combinations to achieve various results. Here are the materials that were used:
And the final result:
Just a simple base, with a dark brown coat and a drybrush of Vallejo's Iraqui Sand, to get that drying land result.
A volcanic/mountain terrain, achieved with the decorative stones, a black coat and a grey drybrush. Perfect for Moria bases.
In this one I wanted to test a mix between the green and the winter static grass. It was painted with a dark brown, a heavy drybrush with a mid tone brown, followed by a light drybrush of Vallejo's Iraqui Sand.
A humid looking terrain, with the same grass mix as used on base 3 and a mid tone brown drybrush. The texture used was the mix of fine sand and the medium grit.
This is one of my favorites. Black basecoat, grey drybrush and winter/dead static grass.
Similar to the base 4 but with a much brighter static grass.
The same method as base 5, but (again) with a bright static grass.
This is the method I tend to use more often. I think the cork is one of the best materials to use in bases! Looks amazing. The big trick with this kind of bases is to give a light white drybrush on the stones in the end.
In this one I tried the snow effects by pouring the snow directly to the base (in pva glue evidently). I've basecoated it in dark brown and gave it a grey drybrush to give the base a cold look. I've used the tufts for the vegetation.
Mountain tipe, with the tufts. The method for the snow was a paste with snow, pva glue and white paint mix. I find it to be the best way to apply snow to the base.
By far, the best surprise!!! I think I'll be using the dried moss in most of my bases now! I'm absolutely in love with the result.
An experiment with nail gel varnish. This one was a test for my future Gollum base, and I'm fairly satisfied with the look of it.
For this I wanted to try something new, and added transparent plastic strings to simulate a frosty terrain. Ideally, it needed to shine, so I also gave the plastic a coat of the gel varnish.
And that's it!
Just a small test on multiple kinds of bases.
I hope you liked them :)
Fantastic toutorial Tiago! I'm working on LOTR miniatures now and will be helpful!ReplyDelete
Thank You :)
Thanks Michał :DDelete
So I've seen... That's going to be amazing!!!!
I hope you have fun painting LOTR minis :D
Thank you giving the ideas of terrain. it was nice idea to keep different base. Now I got some tips.Keep on posting ideas like this. I love teranium. Bryan from custom essay writing serviceReplyDelete